This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclaimer for more info.
Working hard to achieve your career goals? Then read this carefully. Here are some common career mistakes you may be making- and how to avoid them! If one of your life goals is to succeed at your job and achieve your career goals, hopefully these tips will help you take to charge of your success.
- Mistake: Not staying current. Change is inevitable. For your career to grow and advance you have to stay current with what is going on in your industry.
Solution: You should make efforts to learn new techniques and to gain additional education when possible. Seminars, industry journals, continuing education provided by your employer, certifications, and additional education degrees are all useful when trying to advance your career.
- Mistake: Not socializing with management and coworkers. Never been to an office holiday party or drinks after work? This is a mistake. Networking and making connections will help your career in ways you cannot foresee.
Solution: You should attend events and be friendly with everyone. You don’t have to go to every social event but make a point to show up sometimes and put on your interested face. It doesn’t help to go and stand in the corner.
- Mistake: Not seeking out a mentor. Ever wondered about whether you should go to graduate school or whether you should take a certain job? Floundered about with no one to ask for advice?
Solution: Find a mentor. They won’t solve your problems for you, but they can give you valuable insight and advice. Already having experience in your industry, they are more likely to know what skills will be useful to your career. Pick someone who has a career you envy and would like to imitate. It goes without saying that you should approach people who want to help a mentee. Don’t waste time barking up a tree that doesn’t want to/ or have the time to answer questions.
- Mistake: Not making career goals. Day after day you go to work. Day after day you do what is necessary to get by to the weekend. You make enough money for now and you like the way things are… or maybe you don’t. But you never change anything, because you haven’t set real measurable goals for yourself. You’re not actively working towards anything so you don’t make progress and in a couple years, you realize that you’ve been stagnating.
Solution: Stop standing still and write down what you want your career to look like. Make goals that you can actively work towards achieving.
- Mistake: Not accepting responsibility for your career. At work, good things don’t come to people who wait to be recognized. You can’t expect and wait for your superiors to suddenly see what a good worker you are and lavish you with promotions.
Solution: Do the research, put in the hard work, and take yourself where you want to go. You have to go after the raises and promotions that you want. Your success is in your hands.
To conclude, we have compiled a list of some common career mistakes and solutions to avoid those mistakes. With the right attitude and these tips, hopefully you will be able to take charge and fulfill your life goal of succeeding in your career.